- Entries must be between 28 and 36 manuscript pages, with each poem starting on a new page.
- Manuscripts must be typed, with one-inch margins, 12-point font.
- While individual portions of the chapbook may have been published elsewhere, the chapbook as a whole must be previously unpublished.
- The author’s name and contact information must appear on the Submittable form, but it must NOT appear anywhere on the manuscript. There should be no footers or headers containing the author's identity. And no bio page. Manuscripts with biographical information will be disqualified.
- Do not include acknowledgments of previous publications. Manuscripts including an acknowledgments page will be disqualified.
- Pages must be numbered.
- We only accept electronic manuscripts, submitted as ONE pdf file, with the entire chapbook in that single file. Do NOT submit poems in individual files.
- The $18 entry fee includes a one year's subscription to IHLR.
FREE SUBMISSION DAY: On March 1, we will offer a free submission day, but entries on that day will not purchase a subscription. Please note that you must use the Free Day Submission Link which will be available only on our website and all social media platforms. You cannot use this gate for a free submission.
Submissions will be accepted between February 1 and March 15.
The winner receives $1,000 and 15 copies of their chapbook. We will respond to all submissions individually, and then we will announce the finalists and the winner on our website--the finalists in late spring; the winner in early summer if not sooner.
Additional questions should be directed to the editors at firstname.lastname@example.org.